Monday, April 9, 2012

Johnstown, PA May 2 1956

Wed. 4 A.M.

Dear Little Gini,

Well we've just finished our first night's work in Johnstown. We didn't have too much of a crowd but the manager told us that it was the best he'd seen in quite a while.The people received us very enthusiastically themselves. As we played whatever we felt like playing which is quite a welcome innovation. Needless to say, Jazz was well represented.

We're living on the floor above where we play. We each have a private room with single bed. Al's and my  rooms each have a sink and toilet, while the one that Buddy is occupying has only a sink. Poor Al! whoever did the decorating in my room certainly had his/her taste in his/her mouth! The walls are a deep shade of flamingo, bordering on orange! Wild eh?

Our rooms go with the job. This is a good thing but- the blooming job still doesn't pay enough. We're reportedly the highest paid group that's been here in a long time. So happens we were hungry.

Our food we can get at the house kitchen for 25% off menu price.(haven't seen the menu yet) Of course we can also eat out if we prefer. But- the big advantage is the fact that we can sign a tab here and pay later.

We left Buddy's house  Tues. morning at 10 AM and we hit Johnstown at 5:45P.M. almost
OVER

eight hours. We made three stops on the way and that cuts into your average speed pretty severely. The mileage is 332 miles so I guess we didn't do too badly at that.

This was my first exposure to the Penn Turnpike and I must say, the scenery is pretty great along the route. Then the tunnels held quite a bit of fascination for me too. (My engineering streak again honey) I tried to hold my speed around 55 or 60 as I was worried about my motor overheating again. I've been having trouble  with the thing ever since last Dec. and just when I think the blasted thing is doing O.K., up jumps the temperature and I either have to slow way down or stop and let it cool off. On my way home from Washington Sat. afternoon I started having trouble. Seems like the old bus just hated to leave- just like the driver. I had to drive 40 MPH all the way to Jersey and the trip took me all of eight ours I guess. (excuse me baby-my eyes are closing. will finish this when I wake up. nite. X)

Wed. 4:30 PM

Hi sweetie,

Well back again 12 hours later.
Got up at 2:30 and looked out on a dark, dreary, dismal, dank, damp, disheartening, disappointing, disgusting and very rainy day. A very
3
poor condition under which one should see this bustling little metropolis. Honestly Gini, the place is quite depressing. Everything is black and grimy. Even the people look that way. Yes, the young girls too. Oh hell! Let's change the subject.

As I said before, my car started to over heat on my way home Sat. afternoon. So, when I got home I had to spend almost all of my time and money to get the thing in shape for the trip here. It was partly covered by guarantee as when I first  started having trouble the guy who fixed it said that his work was guaranteed. Even so it ran me about 18 bucks. That coupled to the costs of coming here left me completely broke. I borrowed some loot from the bank back home to pay my taxes and hold me over till payday but the loan didn't go through before I left so I hope it gets here by tomorrow anyway.

I got a good haircut while I was at home. He really took quite a bit but it looks good. I'm told that it looks more youthful this way.

4

After I left you Fri afternoon I called Buddy and made arrangements to meet him at the Neptune.Then I called my brother-in-law to say so long to him. When I called, the lady who owns the place answered and when I tried to explain who I was I told her I'm Doris's brother Norman. Then she told me that Doris was there and would I like to talk to her. I then had a brite idea. I told her not to say a word and that I would be right over.
When I walked in my sister almost choked on her food. We haven't seen each other for over 4 years and needless to say we had quite a few drinks and reminiscences. My youngest nephew Douglas came with her and when I walked in I didn't recognize him at first. He's grown so. 19 yrs old.

As time wore on I thought I had better call the Neptune and check with Buddy. As expected he wasn't there, so I left my number and a message for him to call me when he arrived. I stayed with my sister until about 12 mid-night and then went to the Neptune after saying my goodbyes. Again, as expected, no Buddy. I waited until closing

5

and then went over to the "Cock 'n Bull" and had a couple beers with the gang-like the old days.

Before I left my sister I called Virginia to say goodbye and she insisted that I come over and have a drink before I left and she was very sorry about Thurs. nite, and she didn't want me to get the wrong impression of her etc.etc. I told her that Buddy and I were leaving and I wouldn't have the time. But as you know, Buddy was elsewhere. Well, by that time I was damned if I was going to take off for home alone.and look at the trouble that I'd have had with a misbehaving car at 3 o'clock in the A.M.

So to make a long story short, I went over to Virginia's and

6

awakened her. We shot the bull for a while and finally hit the sack around 6 a.m. She had to get up at 7 I think as she had to be to work early Sat. I made her promise not to tell a soul that I'd been there but I bet a dollar to a do-nut that she's already told you. Anyway all we did was sleep and you probably don't believe me. If you don't believe me just ask her how her periods have been lately.

She was planning to take me to some steak house for dinner on Sat. nite and maybe come back to the apt  after and watch T.V. but when I got up around 1 PM I had a very uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach  that I couldn't explain. I simply had to get going with no buts. So I called her at work and explained how I felt and she sounded so

7
disappointed that I felt guilty. So I took off and after what happened to the car it's a good thing that I did. If I'd delayed my stay one more day, they wouldn't have been able to fix it in time for the trip to Johnstown.

On the way home Sat. I thought about you honey and said a little prayer for you. I hope your trip was pleasant and enjoyable and that you had fun with your old buddies.

Sunday I woke up at 12 noon EST(1pm daylight time) I woke out of a sound sleep and it was as if the phone had rung and very clearly and in a very happy voice you said "Hi" to me and told me that you were "tickled". I lay there quite a few minutes trying to figure out what had happened. Coming here on the Turnpike

8

I passed the Downingtown exit and thought about my girl being so near there the day before. Then something else, further along the turnpike at exactly one PM Daylight, I had a strong ringing in my left ear, the one nearest you. What's coming off here?

This place is doing something to my creative writing ability Gini. I can't seem to get anything interesting moving. I hear Al and Buddy downstairs rehearsing. They're practicing an ending for Dixieland stuff They never seem to agree on what should happen at the end of a Dixieland.

O our rooms are all in a line off of a long hall. Mine is 10, Al's is 11, and Buddy's 12. This is the first time

9

we've ever had complete privacy and I can say that I think it's a damn good idea.

I have in adition to my bed, one chair, one small table, a dresser and a clothes rack. I have one mirror over the dresser which is about 18 inches square. The rug is rather threadbare. The john isn't too bad-a pot a and a washbowl, good mirror and a very good light above it with an outlet for my razor. My window looks out into an alley and I have a view of a brick wall about 10 ft. away. I remarked to Al last night that I dug this dormitory atmosphere. He got a kick out of it. Our bathing facilities are down the hall a bit. We have a community shower with

10

3 or 4 spray heads.

Now I can hear them practicing "Night Train" and it rather makes me  feel like joining them. So Hon, on that note(no pun) I'll finish. I don't know when I 'll see you again. We can talk that over in our ensuing correspondence, eh? It would be nice to have and hold you again. I'll certainly be looking forward to your letter. The way it looks now I wont be getting a reply until Monday at least. I don't know the phoning set up that would be best. We have a public phone in the bar (no booth) and there's also a house phone in the office. I'll give you both numbers. I guess we have to have a set arrangement as to time of call. I work from

11

10 till 2 with indefinite intermissions. I'll probably be in my room till at least noon (probably later) every day. I don't think the bar is opened until late in the afternoon but I might be able to gain access through  the kitchen. But if the kitchen is locked I couldn't get to either phone. Let you know more about it Hon as soon as I find out. 

So again, I'll say so long and god bless you. Keep your fingers crossed and play it real cool.

Your,
     Norm

OVER

My address:

Norman (redacted)
c/o The Buddy Rocco 3
The Mell O Dee Club
209 Franklin Street
Johnstown, PA

Public phone: Johnstown 7-9219
House    "    :       "           8-2675


No comments:

Post a Comment