Monday, April 9, 2012

Washington DC, May 4

Friday Night
11:45
Volume I

My Sweet Darling,

Here I go again - No place to send my letters- but I had to talk to you anyway. We left around 6:10 and arrived at Aunt Sara's at 9:15. We made excellent time through Baltimore 1/2 hr- I managed to make all the lights but three. How do you go to Jersey? Route 40? We watched TV until now & I'm in bed - I just finished reading your letters - Send me some more Angel - How I love them!

I have a blue shortie gown on & sleeping on blue sheets & pillow cases - The color of your eyes, dearest. Oh oh how I miss you - I wish you were here to hold me close so gently -  How I love those quiet moments when our hearts & souls commune. Today when you held me so close and just looked into my eyes I had the feeling that something way deep inside of us became one - I said so too, didn't I Darling? I'm glad you felt it too. Words seem to be unnecessary when we are close Sweetheart. Still I can't be quiet about how I feel about you I hope you don't

-2-

get tired of hearing it. I'm getting sleepy Darling, and I want to close my eyes and savor every precious moment we've lived together since the second day of March. Every look, caress, kiss, x x x x x x x . Goodnight my Norm, My sweet, handsome Angel.

Sunday -
12 Noon

Hi Sweetheart,

Well the big doings are all over. We had a great time. I went with Philys and Elma, two old gals whose husbands couldn't attend the banquet so it wasn't so bad. We had about 30 of our class of 120 there, which was a lot to yak at one time, and we sure did plenty of that - We had fruit juice, Roast Chester County turkey, plain filling, giblet gravy, mashed potatoes, peas, cole slaw, cranberry sauce, celery, olives, pickles, rolls & butter, coffee/tea, and ice cream & cookies, and believe me, it was delicious. I longed to have you sitting next to me, my Darling. I would have been so proud. Elma's husband couldn't attend as he was playing in  his orchestra, for a wedding. He plays clarinet and also teaches it. He started in our swing band at school too. After all the speeches, they finally cleared away all the tables 

-3-

for dancing - One of the boys in our class writes a column for the papers here & he took pictures of us some stayed to dance and joined us later, but we left to go to the class party. I didn't want to dance with anyone but you, Sweet - so I left as fast as I could - more and more of our class arrived, that didn't attend the banquet & we talked & talked & looked at looked at a lot of pictures we had taken on our class trip. Gerald & his wife have a beautiful home & we ate more there - sandwiches, soft drinks & cake. They had over 60 people in that place & still had plenty of room. Our class president said "We sure were a seedy bunch in school, but we sure have improved with age" That was the first time I had seen him & a lot of others since the day we graduated. We talked & reminisced until 3 AM and that meant 4 AM as we lost an hour.
___________________________________________
11:30  PM

Interuptions - You are not going to be able to make much sense out of this Sweet - My Uncle & Cousin & car full just arrived from Harrisburg as I was going strong on the party.
-4-

Then Mother & I drove to Downingtown to see our cousins that used to live next door to us. Came home from there about 9 & watched TV until now. I hope to get away by 9 tomorrow morning - We are taking Stella ( the above mentioned cousin, back with us for a visit) and I have to go to work the minute I get home- I miss you so terribly my Darling. I kept hoping you would call me while I was here and then again I was afraid if I went out I would miss it if you did. I hope things are not too difficult for you Angel -  Do what I do when they get too bad - I go off to myself and think of you and how much we've given each other and just shut everything else out, but your closeness - and remember I'll always be here when you need me and I'll always try hard to understand. Hold me close my Darling - Close your beautiful eyes and let me kiss them X X - Your sweet mouth X X X X Oh Darling, I love you so - I'm going to sleep now, I can feel your arms around me pulling me close - X X X  and I will dream, at least think about the next time we find a KEY  -
-5-

Volume II
Monday 4:30 PM
Darling,

Left Pa about 9:20 and arrived in Wash. at 12 - Made better time than going up. It's like summer here and everything is in bloom. I've put on shorts for the first time today. Bob isn't at all happy I'm home. He's trying to give me a hard time.He called and started to give me a lot of lip so I hung up.With company around I am sure he is going to make everyone feel miserable. He said he was going to do just as he damned pleased and from now on I could expect him when I see him. Enough of this crap.
_______________________________

In spite of everything I'm glad to be home. I'm lying across the bed and thinking about when you were here. I feel much closer to you in surroundings we've shared. We stopped at Howard Johnson's for lunch and I looked over at our booth as if expecting to see you. Sweetheart I miss you -  I wonder what you are doing - 
Until tomorrow X X X

-6-

wednesday 4:30
My Dear Sweet Darling,

I didn't write to you yesterday - I was so blue & depressed & played our records.- & cried & cried. I guess I wont be able to listen to them anymore. We went to see "I'll Cry Tomorrow" last night and that didn't help matters any-
I need you so Norman - your sweet understanding love - I am really getting the cold treatment - not even a peck goodnight - we just go to bed and neither says a word.  It's not hurting my feelings any - I just hope and pray I'm not pregnant - I don't think I could face it without you - but there I go building a case. If I could just look into your eyes & feel your arms around me - Everything would be all right. I hoped I would have a letter today - I need to hear from you Darling. Have you forgotten me already? I'm so afraid you will. I wish I could call you! I wish I could see you - oh this is getting me no-where - I wont write anymore until I get over this blue feeling - Have I lost you? I feel so empty - and it's only been 5 days since you held me close- It seems like 5 years, this trying to pretend I'll see you in a few more days just doesn't work. When will I see you Angel?

-7-

I hope I get a long letter from you with a great deal of your sweet self in it. Tell me everything you've been doing since Friday - at least - Having been to Hagerstown once I could picture some of your surroundings, but now, I can't, only your sweet, sweet self. I have so much to tell you when next we meet. I worked today and will be working on paper work at home all week - B. wont be home any night this week. How I wish you were here. He has decided to lead his own life - It is just a matter of time now Darling.

Did you call Mrs. W. before you left? I've talked to her once since I got home - the less said the better - as far as you're concerned - I never heard from you again - what do you think? Please tell me Norm. Until tomorrow Norm- I must get to work - I must go to work before I go crazy-
Your,
lost,
            little girl

Friday
11:30

My love, if I don't hear from you soon this will be too long to mail. It seemed like years waiting for the mailman yesterday and then no letter. My heart almost broke in half. Then I stopped to think - If you left for Johnstown Tues. you couldn't write & if you wrote to me Wed. it probably will take two days to get here.

-8-

So today I am praying it will come.Yesterday I worked in the afternoon & then last eve - I went over to Gloria's to do paper work & home & bed about midnight. I had an awful time keeping my mind on my work Angel. It was a week ago yesterday that we found another key to heaven -  and one week ago today that I felt your arms around me & tasted your sweet kisses. I think I was real brave - It was so hard to keep from crying - I've made up for it this week tho. You are ever in my heart  and all my thoughts-I couldn't sleep last night I kept wanting to reach out and find you & feel your strong, tender arms fold me close to you, I need your love so much my darling. I'm still true to you sweet, how about you?

How late do you play? 10 is late to start isn't it? Tell me all about it. Did you get your hair cut? I'm still going to get you a new hair brush. Well sweet thing- I must take my shower (and without you) and get dressed - I'm taking Stella to see a friend of hers this afternoon, then I have to keep Connie & Cathy  at 3 PM while Elaine gets her hair cut. The sun is shining and the leaves are all out it's so beautiful- My spirits are better today Darling -  I have faith I'll have a better today. How many more days until we are together again? 2 wks?- 16 days? I'm only living for the moment-

1:15

Needless to say, I'm happy Darling- Your

-9-

letter arrived. I'm not sure  whether I shoul answer or not- Mine is so full of love for you and I'm so mixed up- Why oh why did I ever leave Fri? I can't understand why you went to Va's. My heart is aching- No she didn't tell me. She said she didn't hear  a word from you- My Darling you are breaking my heart. Why do you hurt me so- I want so much to trust you- you are so fine and good underneath all this fly by night stuff- I'm at a loss to know where I stand- Please tell me Norm. Am I one of many- I don't feel very much like living any more- I just can't face life without you-Don't be surprised at anything- my life is unbearable. I've lost all feeling for my husband and you have become my whole life- I know I can't ever love you- there is nothing left & how did I ever get off on this kick- anyway. I'm toying with the idea of doing something about it- I've really flipped I guess- Love should be happy but when we're apart- tgere us bitgubg- because I'm not sure of you. I wish you had told me one thing- Something to hold on to- as it is I have nothing, but memories & that makes it harder.

-10-

Your letter was wonderful Norm- I'm happy to have it- I have a wonderful picture of everything you've done since you left me- I'm glad you told me everything even tho I can't understand part of it. I'm even wondering a little  why you hated to leave D.C., I  hate to say this Darling, but if you must have a woman, pick the younger ones-(I hope someday I'll be the only one you'll ever need) Dreaming again. I hope my love will hold you until we see each other again- No young girls or lecherous old ones,

I wish I could take a chance & call. Enough said- I'm on that pink cloud again sweetheart- I'll drop this in the mail right away & be looking for your letter Thursday.
                          I love you
                                   with all my heart & soul
                                                       Your
                                                             own
                                                                  Gini


* Blog Author's Note

After taking days to type this ONE letter. I have come to the conclusion that my dear Mother was a raging 'Manic-Depressive'. Those of you reading this that are under thirty, know it by the tag. 'Bi-Polar'. I can see it in her writing style, her shifts were very fast. She was undiagnosed in her lifetime, but looking  back on growing up. This topsy turvy-ness was present in everything she did. She was either elated/excited/royally pissed or crushed and brooding. Some times all within the space of a couple of hours.

She was not easy to live with at times, but our lives were NEVER dull and boy could she throw a party!!! I know some of you remember!!!  She kept a childlike wonder her entire life. Her moods were quicksilvery and sometimes when the worst of them were directed right at you she could tear you to ribbons with a single sentence. I learned a lot, watching her rise and fall on the tides of her own fickle emotions. Most of all, how to rein in my own when they threatened to run away with me, and how to help others do the same. Thanks, Mom. (and I mean that sincerely)


No comments:

Post a Comment