Saturday, May 19, 2012

Washington D.C. May 5th 1956

 Mr. Norman (redacted)
c/o The Buddy Rocco
The Mell O Dee Club
209 Franklin St.
Johnstown, PA.
Saturday 9:30 AM

Sweetheart,

It's another beautiful morning and I plan to get outside and work in the yard today- One of our neighbors little boys is going to cut the grass- it's so thick  & long I couldn't push the mower through it. He has a power mower so it will be easy- I'm going to do the trimming & weed pulling. I want to get  a roll of color film and I'll send you a  picture. Our azaleas are beautiful such a vibrant red this year and also pink & white ones. The pink and white dogwood trees on the patio are beautiful too.

How did you make out with your check Darling? I hope you won't get in any trouble. It was so wonderful to hear your voice my Angel- I was writing you a letter last Sunday when I wok you. I'm happy that I seem that close to you. I speak to you so often during the day Norm. I'll be riding somewhere in the car  or maybe in my room and I say- Hi darling- I'm thinking about you- I love you. 'm sorry I was so low in my letter, but after re-reading your letter- I think we were both

-2- 

in the same mood. I can't begin to tell you how much I miss you- I feel so lost- after hearing your sweet, dear voice yesterday things are a little easier- I never knew a phone could be so important- I feel so close to you- every night when I get into bed I touch the phone like you did the night you stayed at the Houston & said- My darling is just a call away- We will have to arrange a time to call, Sweetheart- So I don't call person to person- it's quite a bit more- When is the best time for you to call me- Tell me what you think of calling Sunday around 11:00  and Thursday  around 2 PM or 8 PM- The rates are cheaper on Sun. & eve. aren't they?- You call me collect and I will always be near the phone at those times- Saturday morning around 11:00 is a good time- This plan we could use then I wouldn't be calling you at all kinds of hours and you could call me from somewhere where you could talk without interruptions. Hurry and answer me Darling- if we could

-3-

be sure of talking to each other at least 2 times a week- wouldn't it make things a little easier? I know it would mean everything to me. If 11 AM is too early just tell me  what time & I'll be rright by the phone. Tell me what you thing Dearest.

Let me know how the air mail is working also- I'llmail this today airmail too. Do you know stamps upside down on  an envelope mean I love you? I feel as though I'm back in my teens- Oh how I wish I were and we were just starting life together. We have so many good years ahead of us Darling,  but I'm just a litle jealous of those we've missed.

Please Norman- don't feel bad about Mrs. W.- needing affection- She's at least known a great love and had a full happy life. What have we had? I resent any time and thought you give her- Yes, I'm jealous & and it makes me feel a little disgusted that my mother-in-law is trying to give me competition. She has plenty of dates with men her own age and sh has never stopped throwing it up to me. That I'm 3 1/2 years older than Bob, as tho' it's something to be ashamed of. I can't see where she has any right to talk.

-4-

I can imagine you got an ear full of me in the course of your conversation - She's quite a prefabricator so be careful what you believe. It took me 9 years to really know her and believe me she isn't to be trusted. I'll never lie to you darling- I hope you believe me-

I have so much to do today- wash out undies- get out some summer clothes. Start housecleaning. Wish you were here- my tasks would seem so much lighter and  (unreadable).

I miss you Darling- I want to hold you-kiss you xx Give you all my love. Tell me when you think you'll be here- We will make plans.

Have you finished Wash. Cofid. yet? Did you like it? What do you do with all your free time darling? I wish I could spend every inute with you. I'm there sweetheart in mind, if not in body.

God bless you Dearest and take care of yourself- I pray God will bless us  both and someday we will be together (do you like the poem?) Please write to me often darling. 

Always & always
Your
Gini

You and I-

My hand is lonely for your clasping; dear;
My ear is tired waiting for your call.
I want your strength to help, your laugh to cheer. 
Heart, soul and senses need you, one and all.

I droop without your full, frank, sympathy,
We ought to be together, you and I

We want each other so, to comprehend
the dream, the hope, things planned, or seen or wrought,

Companion, comforter, and guide and friend,
As much as love asks lov, dos thought ask thought.

Life is so short, so fast the lone hours fly, 
We ought to be together, you and I

         -Henry Alford

No comments:

Post a Comment