Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Hagerstown, Md April 18, 1956

Mrs Gini (redacted)
4919 (redacted) Drive
Washington 16, D.C.
Wed. 2 A.M.
Hi Pet
     I'm borrowing one of your writing techniques- I'm going to write a few lines on this and then tomorrow, or whenever your letter arrives, I'm going to dash off some more in answer. I got your letter off this aft. before I started the evening session.
     Well tonight was a little better after last night. At least we had a balanced ratio of males to females and they had sense enough to get up and dance with each other (I want to dance wit chu.) The nite started slowly and picked up just when we needed the incentive. I managed to sneak a couple of

O'R'E

2

bourbons on the rocks, without the maestro getting hip.
     After work I bought 2 bottles of gunther's beer at the service bar and retired to my room where I am now. I had intended to drink the beers and read Wash. Confidential  but what did I do instead? I got the urge to clean out my drawers desk and in so doing I came across your love letters. I  though I'd clean them out and just  keep the most recent one on hand. I arranged them in chronological order by the postmarks as a more or less absent minded mechanical action then I withdrew the first one from the envelope and read it through- One led to the other and  finally about an hour and a quarter later I had gone through them. Quite a cache I have here. Well, needless to say Honey, after reading them  I couldn't bring myself to dispose of them. Gettig sentimental in my old age I guess, eh?
     I wrote to Virginia tonight also and told her about the nice 

3

time and meal I had at your place Sunday afternoon. The last letter I got from her was Postmarked Apr 9 so I guess my answer was a little overdue. Ok!!-Relax!!
     Gee Honey, I don't feel a bit sleepy. I guess the fact that I went to bed early last Mon. nite, plus the fact that I stayed in bed till 2 PM yesterday (wed) afternoon. (wow, what a set up for my next line!) No- I wont say it. Keep ya guessin-
     This was going to be a few lines Kitten, what a garralus old fool I'm turning into. Be different if I could spiel interestingly.
     Al's out again tonite on a hot date. He went to Waynesboro, Pa after work last nite and didn't get home till Tues. AM at 6. Looks like he's going to pull the same stunt tonite. Me, now, I'm the patient type. I don't go in

4

for that fly by nite stuff. It has no meaning for me. It can't unless I form some kind of attachment to the party. hi sweetie- gimme a kiss. X oh!
     Buddy just went out for a bite I guess he's been writing too as I haven't heard a word from him till he left. He asked me to join him but I'm a little tired of his opinionated, blatant ranting.  Just as soon Rather stay here with you. 
     I think I'll shut off till tomorrow Little Kitten. I'd like to write my mother before I go off to sleep. I'll look for your note tomorrow sometime. So- till then-good X  nite X  Lover XX.
Wed. 2:45 P.M
Top O' the morn Hon,
     Morning hell! .Well as Al says morning is just a state of mind.
     I got your letter when I  came downstairs this afternoon around 2 P.M.. Needless to say I was glad to get it. We went (Al & I) to our favorite waffle shop for breakfast. This time I  had what I usually get, a double glass of fresh orange juice . a bowl of cereal with

5

cream, and a cup of tea. While I was waiting to be served I read your letter.
     I'm writing this from the Post Office. If I go all the way back to the hotel to complete this note, I wouldn't have time to come to the post office to mail it and I think it'll go out more quickly if I drop it in here.
     I just asked one of the clerks what they get for a P.O. box. The fee here is 2.25 for 2 months and I guess it's the same back home. After thinking about it I've concluded that it's a pretty sound idea. Nobody can mess around with your mail or snoop. My wife has destroyed mail on me before I know. It wasn't from a girl friend either. On one occasion, it was from my sister and on another my mother.

6

     Well, Kitten, (teach me a better phrase to terminate a letter with please!) If I don't shut off I'll never get this off.  Back to the grind. Clean up, shave, and the whole routine all over again. So- think about me. "Tenderly" is always one of  our first tunes and with it comes a picture of you, sitting in the Neptune Room that nite. I know now that I shouldn't have taken you so lightly the first couple of times that you came in. We.d have had a couple more weeks together in this lifetime. Again- so long sweetheart. I'll look for your next note. If I don't hear from you by Sat. , I'll call you, Sat. afternoon. Tomorrow I'll try  to get off a joint letter to the both of you, you know, thanks and bla, bla. You read between the lines when you get it.
     So until I see you Dear, my warmest affection for you -

   Your-
          Norm

P.S. I dropped this in the slot at 3:30 let me know when  it is postmarked.


*Blog Authors Note
This particular letter is postmarked April 18th. Little did my parents know at the time, that they would indeed make a go of it and give birth to a baby daughter seven years later on this date. Yup, ME!



No comments:

Post a Comment