Thursday, November 3, 2011

Hagerstown, MD March 22, 1956

Mrs. Charles (redacted)
4919 (redacted) drive
Washington, D.C.

Thurs. Mar. 22, 1956

Dear little Gini Gal,

     Never, no never in my born days, have I ever received or even heard of a letter to equal the one that you sent me- even in the loneliness of my early army training when my marriage was still young I never received anything with so much feeling in it. I love your letter so much and I'm going to keep it for the rest of my life regardless of what happens.
     Needless to say, Gini, I miss you - your little frame  that tucks 

2

so neatly against my own. Theres something infinitely tender and sensuous in the way you respond to my caresses- its a rare thing indeed.
     Between you and me, your mother-in-law called me here around one o'clock this morning. I was already in bed and sipping on a lukewarm beer. Apparently she is a little attached to me. (For god's sake don't breathe a word of this to anyone!) You've probably guessed what happened after we left you last Sat. evening. Well, we were both feeling quite high. She has invited me down for a weekend but I didn't give her a definite answer. If I ever do accept, sweet, it'll be because I can be near you or see you. and from here on I want my association with her on a strictly platonic level. Eat, drink, have fun, but no bed.

3

     You seem to indicate that you'll be down next Wed. I'll be tickled to see you. But-I won't be able to begin to express myself what with Bob present and lord knows who else. Just bear in mind Gini, when my eyes meet yours, that I'll be thinking of the tender delights that we'll share the first instant that the opportunity presents itself.
     Al, our new drummer, is doing real fine. Last night he really did a fine job that was in many respects better than Frankie. Given a little time I think he'll actually be better for us.
     This afternoon he and I

4

went for a cruise through the local countryside. We took Rt.11 as far as Williamsport, which is on the Potomic, and then cut back to Rt. 40 and back to Hagerstown.We also took in  the Washington County Gallery of Art, which seems to be a poor man's Mellon Institute. They can boast of at least one Rembrandt, and two or three quite lesser oils.
     The Gallery is situated in the County Park. There is also in the park a very efficient looking band shell. In warmer weather I imagine they give a few concerts there. But the best thing there was the parking lot overlooking the lake. There was a couple parked there and I immediately had the desire to have you here under the same conditions.
Well. honey, it is now 4:30 and

5

since we start at 5:30, I'm afraid I'll have to start getting ready. We play from 5:30 to 6:30, have dinner from 6:30 to 8:00, and then play from 8:00 to 12:00. We have all day Fridays and Monday afternoons off. On Saturday we start at 4:30 in the afternoon instead of the usual 5:30.
     So again, sweetie, I'll say so long for now and please take care of yourself. Get out and do things and think of me. I'll be thinking of you.

Your Lover,
         Norman
                 (also scatterbrained)



*Blog Authors Note:
This letter also included a map. "A Walking Tour of Historic Frederick Maryland" 
as can be seen in the accompanying photograph.





No comments:

Post a Comment